Saturday, August 28, 2010

"Lose Yourself"

Hola! 
Estoy en Montevideo finalmente! After 25 hours of traveling from 12pm Thursday to 1pm Friday, we finally made it to Montevideo :) I would tell you how most of the traveling went but basically we drove to the Dallas/Ft.Worth Airport, had dinner, boarded the plane, and then I slept for the next 10 hours until we reached Buenos Aires where I slept some more, boarded another plane for Montevideo and promptly fell asleep...again. I didn't actually wake up until we stepped outside of the airport haha. However, I was very thankful for all that sleep, because once we arrived we were whisked on a quick tour of the city and to see a park next to the beach, had an amazing lunch of 5 varieties of empanadas and fresh fruit (absolutely delish!), then on a scavenger hunt in the city. The scavenger hunt was definitely not easy, but we managed and after 4 times at 4 different ATMs i finally figured out how to get money out haha.
My song choice for this post is "Lose Yourself" by Eminem. Yes, I know its a rap song, but it fit so I'm using it. The part of his rap that really connected with me for this day was when he says: 
"Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity, to seize everything you ever wanted- one moment, would you capture it or just let it slip?.... You better lose yourself in the music, the moment, you own it, you better never let it go. You only get one shot, do not miss your chance, this opportunity comes once in a lifetime!"
I have decided that while I am here i will embrace every opportunity and try and fit in and be just like the natives. I do not know the next time I will be back in South America so why blow this opportunity and try and wait for another one when I have this awesome opportunity here??
I actually had a chance to do this last night at  dinner. Me and my friend Ben split the "chivitos para dos personas" which is basically a steak sandwich split between 2 people. This is a very traditional meal in Uruguay, and it is HUGE! The first layer was papas fritas or french fries, then a potato salad with small cubed potatoes and peas is a cream, then the steak, then cheese, jamon (ham), more cheese, and topped off with a fried egg and bacon. And on the side was some beets, more fries, tomatoes, and shredded carrots. Basically it was way too much food, but I am going to dare my brother to eat it all when he comes in November. So far the only thing I don't like about Uruguay is the time that the locals eat. Everyone eats at 8 or later, so I think I'll have a light snack at dinner and have a big lunch.
I hope everyone is doing well... <3

1 comment:

  1. That sandwich sounds like a pregnant womans dream.... Luckily I am one

    ReplyDelete