Thursday, September 2, 2010

"Wide Open Spaces"

"A young girl's dream no longer hollow
It takes the shape of a place out west
But what it holds for her, she hasn't yet guessed
She needs wide open spaces
Room to make her big mistakes
She needs new faces"

If you don't know this song you should, because it is one of my favorite Dixie Chicks songs. I feel like this song definitely embraced my outlook for this past week. One of the places I have always wanted to go has been South America. So when I had the chance to go to South America, and to have it fit in my degree plan was a dream come true. However, I still have no idea what this trip holds for me, and I have no idea where I will go, and if I will be able to do all the things I want to. But, I am going to have a great time and meet lots of new people and probably make some mistakes.... Correction, I will make mistakes....I have already made some mistakes and will most likely make more :) heehee.  This week has been a good first week. All my classes are really small, ranging between 3 and 10 people, and they are all really interesting and conversation based. While I am here I am taking an Old Testament Bible class, Advanced Spanish conversation, Latin American Studies, Multicultural Education Perspectives, and Latin American Art. I am really excited about all of them! Already the entire group is starting to feel like a local Uruguayan from drinking cortados (half cafe and half creamy foam) at the local cafes, taking the bus to the mall, going to La Rambla (the local beach), and going to la Iglesia (church) and going down to La Ferreria (the large street market) downtown with the youth group. Overall a very good week of trying to be a local. Now, just looking forward to a good weekend! love all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment