Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Whole New World

Haha yes I do know that this a very corny song from Aladdin, but I like it. I also realize that most of my song choices have been about discovering a new place but I have only been here 2 weeks and I am constantly learning new things.
A whole new world
A new fantastic point of view
No one to tell us no
Or where to go
Or say we're only dreaming

A whole new world
Every turn a surprise
With new horizons to pursue
Every moment gets better 
Being in Uruguay is awesome and I love it and the culture, but I think the best part of the culture is the people, and the different point of view they bring to this world. Uruguayan people are very gracious, loving, and patient. Three traits that are very welcoming to a foreigner who is having their spanish skills seriously tested. I have made some very great friends at the church next door with ages ranging from 10-21. They are all wonderful and always super excited to see you, and it makes going to church a 100 times better :).
Well some of us have made a habit of shooting pool every Saturday night with some of the guys from church, which has been a lot of fun. Last night was the best because they played all 90s American songs, so basically a lot of Madonna, Guns and Roses, and Celine Dion. One fun thing we did this past week as an entire group was to visit the Palacio Legislativo, the Legislative Palace, which is like our Congress building. Although the United States Congress Building is a lot bigger than the Uruguayan Congress building, the Uruguayan Congress is absolutely stunning! Everything is made of pure marble or Uruguayan granite, with beautiful, Greek inspired paintings and mosaics. It was such a huge surprise but was totally awesome.
Another really cool thing I got to participate in was teaching English conversation classes at the church every Thursday night. We didn't have a lot of people show up, but I got to help one of the church elders improve his English and it was really encouraging and exciting to see the difference I made in his ability to speak English. I can't wait for this weeks class, because I personally invited a guy I met on the bus Saturday who spoke some English and is always wanting some practice, sooo I hope he comes!
And after a busy week we had the privilege to go to an estancia (farm) about 1.5 hours away. It was absolutely gorgeous weather the entire day and we were able to work out, ride horses, have a delicious lunch, swim, and have a delicious snack! (if you haven't picked up from my previous blogs there is always food here and it is ALWAYS delicious!) Overall, it was a lot of fun and truly relaxing. 
Well after a somewhat selfish weekend, today (sunday) a group of us are going to an orphanage to shower some love on some children. I am somewhat nervous, but really excited to show these children that we love them and even more there is a God that loves them unconditionally, soo pray that it goes well :)
I hope everyone is doing well and you are all in my prayers. Please pray that everyone will stay healthy on this trip and that we will continue to learn more and more while we are here, also some help with not craving mexican food ( i miss it alot :( haha )
Dios le bendice (God bless you)

No comments:

Post a Comment